I specialize in mass management of Apple devices in a corporate environment. My second specialization is building Linux based infrastructure and running services on it. Currently I realize these specializations as an employee of Logicworks s.r.o.. You will find a summary of my skills in the other sections of this page.
It all began back in 1997 when a Macintosh computer landed on my desk. My father got himself a second PowerBook 540 to use it as a source of spare parts especially the main display. Using 12 Apple CRT he repaired I could start playing Asterax and Marathon 😉 Since then, a larger number of Performas, PowerMacs, MacBooks and other Apple devices have passed through my hands. I’ve met almost every Mac OS from version 7 to the current macOS 11.0 Big Sur.
A fundamental turning point in my professional life was the decision to study at the Faculty of Information Technology Czech Technical University in Prague. The school was able to upgrade the advanced user to the IT engineer he is now. Thanks to the Apple Lab project, which was covered by my bachelor’s and master’s theses, I stopped tinkering only with my Mac and started thinking about how to manage tens, hundreds or even thousands of devices. The field focus then logically led me to the Linux infrastructure and networks. The school gave me a lot and it shows in my subsequent professional experience.
Contact and links
- LinkedIn: Michal Moravec
- GitHub: MichalMMac
- Twitter: @MichalMMac
- E-mail: michal.moravec@<domain of this website>
My current life
- Learning to use Swift programming language.
- Programming InstallApplications replecement in Swift
- Got married! 🙂
Logicworks, s.r.o. (2016 – present)
At Logicworks, I work as an Apple System Administrator. I primarily deal with mass management of Apple devices for our business customers. I am also in charge of the internal IT infrastructure that I have built and develop further.
- Analysis, implementation and management of MDM solutions for clients such as VMware Workspace One, SimpleMDM, Jamf Pro, Hexnode, Intune and Profile Manager.
- Volume management of Apple devices using open source tools Munki, MunkiReport, AutoPkg, munki-pkg, custom DEP, Snipe-IT and more.
- Leading a small team responsible for the design, implementation and management of the new Logicworks IT infrastructure. Physical servers, Debian Linux, virtualization, containers, HA, web hosting, mailserver, LDAP server, automated certificate authority, RADIUS, monitoring, backup, firewall, IPSec, databases, identity, inventory, wiki, documentation, password management, file sharing.
- Deployment of a distributed monitoring system for client networks based on Icinga 2, influxDB and Grafana tools.
- Design and management of the internal Wi-Fi and Ethernet networks using 802.1X and dynamically allocated VLANs.
- Colleague training focused on macOS and network management.
- Presentation and training of Apple platform management for customers.
More details on the Logicworks project page.
Faculty of Information Technology CTU in Prague (2014 – present)
At FIT CTU, I manage an Apple laboratory designed for the development of mobile applications. I followed up on my diploma thesis, which put the classroom into operation.
- Supporting the solution for the deployment and simultaneous operation of macOS, Linux and Windows on a Mac mini computers in the classroom, including running the operating system over a network.
- Integration of macOS with existing systems such as network accounts (LDAP, Active Directory), network home directories (NFS, Samba), deployment of system images (PXE, multicast) and monitoring (Nagios).
- MacOS management using DeployStudio, Profile Manager, Munki and Ansible.
- Operation of a virtualized environment for classroom management and deployment testing (virtualized macOS in VMware ESXi).
More details on the AppleLab project page.
Abuco ICT, s.r.o. (2015 – 2018)
For Abuco, I designed and implemented the macOS mass management system, which we used to administer customer’s devices. I also regularly visited the client workplaces and helped users.
- Volume macOS management using Munki, Reposado, AutoPkg, MunkiReport and DeployStudio.
- Integration of macOS clients with the SafeQ print system.
- On-site end user support.
More details on the Abuco project page.
Quentin, spol s.r.o. (2014 – 2018)
The cooperation with Quentin seamlessly followed my work in the Qstore store. As an external consultant, I helped with more complex customer requirements.
- Mass deployment of iPads and Apple TV in hotels.
- Integration of macOS clients with Active Directory.
- OS X Server administration.
- Creating automation tools in AppleScript.
More details on the Quentin project page.
Qstore (2011 – 2014)
During the first part of my university studies, I earned extra money thanks to a part-time job in the Apple Premium Reseller Qstore store. The more entertaining part of the workload included:
- Identifying customer needs and trying to find a suitable Apple solution for them.
- Solving customer problems.
- Training individuals in using Apple products and services.
Through my job, I’ve learned to use wide range of technologies and tools.
- Languages: Czech and English (B2)
- Learning new things
- Independence, reliability and responsibility
- Small team management
- Preparation and management of training
- Creating technical documentation
- Transport: Driving license type B
- Writing bugreports 🙂
Volume management of Apple devices:
- MDM solutions:
- macOS management tools: Munki, MunkiReport, AutoPkg, NoMAD, MDS, installapplications, DEPNotify, Octory
- Apple tools: Apple Configurator, Remote Desktop, Content Caching service.
- Creating macOS installation packages: munki-pkg, luggage,
- Legacy tools: AutoDMG, DeployStudio, NetBoot, Reposado
- I actively use: Python, shell, Swift
- I worked with the code: Perl, PHP
- Backup: rsnapshot
- CA: OpenXPKI
- Config management: Ansible
- Database: MariaDB, PostreSQL, Redis
- Documentation: NetBox, Wiki.js
- Directory: OpenLDAP, FusionDirectory
- DNS: bind9
- Inventory: Snipe-IT
- Failover: keepalived
- Firewall: nftables, iptables
- Containers: LXC
- Mail: dovecot, postfix, amavis, SpamAssassin, ClamAV, exim
- Monitoring: Icinga2, influxDB, Grafana, Nagios
- File sharing: Samba, NFS
- Networks: IPv4, IPv6, VLAN, 802.1X, FreeRADIUS, IPSec, IKEv2, SNMP
- Collaboration: GitLab
- Storage: Linux RAID, Synology NAS, btrfs, zfs
- File synchronization: rsync, unison
- Version control: git
- Virtualization: QEMU/KVM, VMware ESXi, VMware Fusion
- VPN: strongSwan, OpenVPN
- Web: Apache, PHP-FPM
- Documentation: Nuclino
- Identity Management: Azure Active Directory, VMware WorkspaceONE Access
- Communication: Slack
- Password Management: 1Password
- Collaboration: Google Workspace, Microsoft Office 365
- Ticketing: Freshdesk, Jira
- School: Faculty of Information Technology, CTU in Prague
- Years of study: 2013 – 2016
- Field: Computer systems and networks
- Diploma thesis: Operation of Apple laboratory for FIT CTU
- School: Faculty of Information Technology, CTU in Prague
- Years of study: 2010 – 2013
- Field: Information technology
- Bachelor thesis: Case study of Apple classroom at CTU FIT
In addition to bug reports and requests for improvements, I actively contribute to open source projects. I also created some custom tools.
- InstallApplications Swiftly. Swift replacement for Python based InstallApplications.
- wso-munki-manifest-sync program for synchronizing device groups between VMware Workspace ONE UEM and Munki (Logicworks).
- Refactoring pf AutoPkg processors for downloading data from URLs and creating a new URLGetter processor providing basic functions. Improvements to others processors and new unit tests.
- Added the ability to notarize a signed installation package in munki-pkg.
- Repository with recipes for AutoPkg. Contributions to other repositories within the autopkg GitHub organization.
- Monitoring scripts for Icinga 2 (Logicworks).
- New function for API library PyVMwareAirWatch.
- Minor contributions to Icinga 2, Mac Ports, OpenXPKI and installapplications projects.
- Script for running scripts using launchd.
- Script for bulk conversion of subtitle encoding.
Certifications and courses
- Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC): 10.8, 10.9
- Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP): 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.15
- Apple Certified Associate (ACA) – Mac Management: 10.8, 10.9, 10.10
- Apple Certified Associate (ACA) – Mac Integration: 10.8, 10.9, 10.11, 10.12, 10.13
- Cisco CCNA 1-4
- MikroTik Certified Network Associate
- VMware Certified Professional – Digital Workspace 2021
SuperApple (2012 – 2017)
Together with Petr Škuta, we wrote many articles for the printed SuperApple magazine. Every two months, readers could read our reviews of currently released games for macOS and iOS. We were responsible for the main topic of magazine issue July-August 2013.
Moderator of the MacForum.cz
I contribute to the MacForum.cz community forum since its establishment in 2012. Since 2014, I have also moderated some sections of the forum.
I was one of the most active contributors, but answering the same questions over and over again was tiresome so in last couple of years I have visited the forum rather sporadically.
Volunteer at iCON Prague
I participated in the iCON Prague 2013 and 2014 festivals as a volunteer. In a role of “iCON professor”, I answered more intricate technical questions from visitors about Apple platforms.
During the 2014 and 2015 iCON events, visitors could visit the stand “Mac Gaming Station”, where we (Petr Škuta from SuperApple) presented playing games on a Mac. It also included cooperation with porting companies Feral Interactive and Aspyr Media, in which they provided us with copies of games for presentation and competitions.